Za’atar is a middle-eastern spice mix, made mainly of dried oregano, marjoram, thyme, sumac, salt and sesame seeds. This recipe is very quick to prepare and cook, and feeds 4 people.
- 4 tbsp za’atar spice
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil (more if required)
- 4 lamb backstraps, trimmed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine za’atar, and oil, and mix to a paste. Adjust amounts until happy with smooth paste consistency.
- Place lamb in bowl, add paste and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Remove lamb from refrigerator, bring to room temperature. Season with salt and pepper before pan-frying over medium to high heat for 5-8 minutes, or until done to your liking. Usually 2-3 minutes each side is plenty. Remove from pan and rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice and serve while still warm with the salad.
- Make spinach salad while lamb is resting, place lamb slices over salad or toss the lamb through the salad
- 4-5 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup shaved Pecorino Romano cheese or crumbled fetta whichever preferred (adjust amounts to suit)
- 1/4 -1/3 cup toasted pecans (toast in the oven or in a pan on the stove-top)
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl, toss the spinach with the cheese, pecans, and sliced onion.
- Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil to a small bowl and whisk in the mustard, honey, and vinegar.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss to combine, and serve with lamb.
Some reasons why this is good for you
- Lamb – high-quality protein, with many vitamins & minerals, including iron, zinc, and vitamin B12
- Olive oil – anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat
- Za’atar – antioxidants and nutrients to boost the immune system, fight inflammation & increase circulation
- Spinach – antioxidants, vitamins A, K, C & B, potassium, iron, carotenoids, anti-cancer, good for eyes & bones
- Red onion – Vitamin C & B vitamins, antioxidant, protect against cancer and CVD, antifungal, antimicrobial & stabilise blood sugar
- Honey – antioxidants plus B vitamins & vitamins A, C, D, E and K, plus copper, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium, and zinc
- Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption
- Cheese – Calcium for strong bones and teeth, protein, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, Vitamins A, B2 and B12 for the nervous system
- Pecans – heart healthy, a good protein & fibre source with 19 vitamins & minerals including Vitamins A,E, B vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium & zinc