- 2 kg of organic grass-fed beef bones (knuckles and cut bones with marrow) or organic chicken carcass or fish carcass. Include chicken feet, fish heads, and scraps if accessible.
- 5L water
- ½ cup of apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 onions diced
- 2-3 carrots diced
- 1 whole bulb of garlic
- ½ bunch celery diced
- ½ bunch of thyme, bruised
- 1 bunch parsley stems
- 3 medium bay leaves
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 large knob of fresh turmeric/2 tbsp fresh grated (optional)
- Roast bones (except fish carcasses) in the oven at 220 degrees celsius for 1 hour. Add garlic, onion and carrot and roast for a further 30 mins. Deglace tray with vinegar.
- Add bones, water, vinegar, vegetables, herbs and spices into a large pot. Bring to a boil on high and then set it at a rolling simmer.
- Simmer for 12-72 hours, stirring occasionally. Skim and foam or oils that rise to the surface.
- Strain liquid from the pot into jars for refrigeration, pour into ice cubes and freeze, or use immediately.
- Consume on it’s own or feel free to make a curry/soup out of it.
Sarah practices Nutrition at our Newtown Clinic. Contact 9557 1277 to book.