This is a recipe I have used many time as an accompaniment to meat or fish however it can be a meal or snack on its own. Many variations can be achieved by substituting other vegetables. Some vegetables can make the mixture a bit wet & it can end up a bit sloppy, as can too much liquid, so finding the right combinations is key to a good dish. Roughly 4-5 cups of grated mixed vegetables in total (try zucchini in the mix as well).
- 2 medium potatoes (grated)
- ½ medium sweet potato (2 cups grated)
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 1 large clove of garlic-grated or crushed
- 1 onion grated
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoon of gluten free flour or bread crumbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ -1 cup grated tasty cheese (optional)
- Heat oven to 175-180 degrees C. and grease an ovenproof baking dish (approx. 23cmx 33cm).
- Grate all the vegetables and press gently between paper towels to drain excess moisture.
- Combine all vegetables in a large bowl with eggs, oil, garlic, flour/crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper. Add a little more flour if mixture still seems too wet.
- Spread mixture evenly in dish using a spatula and cook for 45mins to 1 hour until kugel is cooked through and feels slightly firm to touch with the surface looking slightly brownish and crisp.
- If desired top with grated cheese and cook for an extra 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Cool slightly, cut into squares and serve as a side dish, meal or snack.
Some reasons why this is good for you:
- Potatoes –provide carbs, protein & fibre, plus vitamins C, B6, niacin, folate, potassium, manganese, magnesium and phosphorus. Potatoes are cholesterol free.
- Sweet potatoes – also provide carbs, protein & fibre, are antioxidant- contain Vitamin C, betacarotene, potassium and Vitamin B6.
- Carrots – antioxidant (beta-carotene), protect heart and eye health, anti-cancer, assists blood sugar control
- Garlic & Onions – have vitamin C & B vitamins, antioxidant, protect against cancer and CVD, antifungal, antimicrobial & stabilise blood sugar
- Olive oil – anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, healthy fat;
- Black pepper – anti-inflammatory /aids digestion/ assists nutrient absorption.
- Eggs – provide protein for energy, lutein and zeaxanthin for eye health, choline for cell health, vitamins A, B, C, and vitamin D for bone health and immune support, plus magnesium and calcium.
- Cheese – Calcium for strong bones and teeth, protein, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, Vitamins A, B2 and B12 for the nervous system
- Parsley – provides chlorophyll good for detoxing liver.