Deliciously flavoursome, a little sweet (from the pumpkin) and gently fragrant (from the basil). This easy risotto makes a lovely meal with grilled chicken or fish and some fresh greens. Only takes about 10 minutes to prep and throw everything in, then set and forget.
It’s full of complex carbohydrates which release slow burning energy and are essential for healthy hormones and reducing stress. It’s also sticky and rich and full of vegetable goodness.
Ingredients (gluten free, cow’s dairy free)
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 cups grated pumpkin (~250g without skin or seeds)
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (or omit if using store-bought stock)
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock (or vegetarian if you prefer. bought stock is ok too, but is probably saltier)
- 20+ basil leaves, well chopped
- sprinkle of grated goat or sheep’s cheese, to serve (many people are intolerant to the casein protein in cow’s milk and may tolerate sheep and goat’s milk better)
- Fry spring onion, garlic, pumpkin and zucchini in olive oil over medium heat for about 2 minutes.
- Add rice and stir till coated in oil.
- Add ACV, stock and salt (optional) and stir.
- Keep on medium heat and cook at a fast simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place lid on and cook for a further 5 – 10 minutes (checking after 5), until rice is al dente (still firm to the bite but not crunchy) and almost all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir through chopped basil and top with grated cheese. Serve as is or with protein of choice and fresh salad.
Kate Gray is a Clinical Nutritionist at Hornsby Health Space. She is known in the Hornsby community to be passionate about helping people and has personalised approach to dietary and lifestyle advice.