When it comes to your hormones stress is all about your adrenal glands. These glands that sit on top of your kidneys can completely make or break your health. The most common issue that can cause adrenal dysfunction is chronic stress.
You may just think that stress comes from external pressures such as deadlines at work, financial troubles or relationship worries. However there is much more to stress than you might think. Other stressors that might be detrimental to your health and wellbeing are things such as:
• Processed foods
• Fake light
• Heating and air conditioning
• Poor intestinal bacteria
When the adrenals are not running well it means that their rhythm is disturbed which renders them dysfunctional. This means that the hormones being produced by the adrenal glands such as cortisol may be over produced or not be produced sufficiently for the body's needs.
Things you can do to rebalance the functioning of your adrenal glands:
- Make sure you have adequate protein and good sources of fats for breakfast  – A low carbohydrate high protein breakfast will balance out your blood sugar which in turn will help to stabilise cortisol production.
- Consume healthy slow absorbing carbohydrates at lunch and along with protein and healthy fats.  This will also help to reset you cortisol rhythm by stabilising your blood sugar. (Examples of slow absorbing carbs are beans of all sorts, legumes, sweet potato, pumpkin, potato, brown rice and quinoa)
Here is a great recipe for BREAKFAST that will help promote stable blood sugar and save your adrenal glands from being stressed and over worked.
• 1 serve of protein powder
• 1/2 cup blackberries
• 1/4 cup rinsed and cooked navy beans (they have no effect on the taste)
• 1/2 cup spinach or kale
• 2 tbls chia seeds
• Unsweetened almond or rice milk
Blend altogether and enjoy!!
Stress may be one of the main drivers of hormonal dysfunction and adrenal fatigue, but the more stable your blood sugar and cortisol rhythms can be the more you will be able to cope with daily stress and start to thrive.
Naturopath Health Space Hornsby