High quality green tea can give an extra boost of nutrients needed to help prevent disease and support the body in difficult times of illness.
When considering disease prevention with conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer green tea can play a major role by supplying the body with essential antioxidants that combat the damaging effects of oxidative stress within the body.
Green Tea is very high in polyphenol antioxidants. Within this group of polyphenols there are flavonoids which contain catechins. These have been shown to have far reaching health benefits for those that have cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer.
Green Tea Catechins have been shown to:
1. Lower blood pressure which will reduce the incidence of heart disease
2. Relaxes arteries and improves blood flow which is helpful in the prevention of heart attack, heart disease and stroke
3. Help to shut down the production and spread of tumour cells
4. Regulate fat metabolism to help prevent obesity
5. Enhances brain function preventing age related brain degeneration
6. Reduces inflammation and improves digestion!
Besides being an excellent source of antioxidants Green Tea is also packed full of nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, B, B5 and K, manganese, zinc, chromium and selenium.
To boost the benefits of your daily cuppa, add a squeeze of lemon as the extra vitamin C will help your body absorb and use the powerful antioxidants within the tea.
Be sure to only drink high quality green tea with no added sugar or sweeteners and to get full benefit you will need to be drinking 3-4 cups per day
Naturopath – Nutritionist and Herbalist
Health Space Brookvale