To say that weight gain is purely due to an imbalance between energy intake and energy expenditure is a huge oversimplification of weight loss. As we know everyone is different and responds differently to foods and eating styles. There is no ‘one diet fits all’ or a ‘quick fix’ for weight loss. The key questions I investigate to help determine diet adjustments for my clients include :
- Do you have sugar cravings/insulin resistance / metabolic syndrome?
- Do you suffer from depression or have emotional issues around eating?
- Do you comfort or binge eat?
- Are you adrenally exhausted and fatigued or not sleeping well?
- Is your body in a state of inflammation (eg rheumatism, IBD, SLE)?
- Are you injured and unable to exercise?
- Are you over-training?
- Is your job sedentary?
- Is your extra weight mainly stored around your abdomen?
- Are you in menopause or suffering hormonal imbalances such as PCOS?
- Do you have an under-functioning thyroid?
- Do you have digestive or gut issues?
- Do you have a fatty liver or problems digesting fats?
Then, along with a detailed case history of my clients and an understanding of their motivation and lifestyle, I work with them to make the changes to support them to achieve their weight loss goals. The changes vary per client but can include :
- Promoting and explaining an anti-inflammatory diet.
- Decreasing simple carbohydrates and switching to complete carbohydrates. • Adjusting protein requirements to their needs.
- Work on portion control.
- Increase water intake.
- Promote bowel function and gut health.
So with summer around the corner, why not book in for a consult to ensure your diet is working for your weight loss goals.