Benefits of a Remedial Massage
Have you ever wondered what is a remedial massage, or how it differs from other kinds of massage? For many people, when we think of massage, the first thing that pops in our minds is relaxation. Relaxation massage is an amazing way to help unload stress and loosen up your body. While this approach may be beneficial for those who have had a hard-working week and want to wind down, it may not really fix that chronic pain that you might be having, or help the recovery of a recent injury
Many people don’t understand that remedial massage is extremely effective for assisting recovery from injury and supporting the healing process for chronic injuries. Remedial massage is the systematic assessment and treatment of the muscles, tendons, ligaments and connective tissues of the body to assist in rehabilitation, pain and injury management. Remedial massage therapists focus intently on helping your body to heal and recover faster and more effectively.
So, how might a remedial massage therapist assist you in a way that is different to other massage techniques? Remedial massage therapists usually have a four-step process to find out what is causing the pain of the injury and provide you with the best possible care:
- Subjective - this is where the therapist will identify the location of pain, pain levels, how often the problem occurs and for how long, as well as how it started
- Objective - this includes a postural assessment, observation (what the therapist sees) and palpation (feeling the muscle, joints and soft tissues that are being assessed)
- Assessment - this involves testing joint movement and muscle strength, to identify which muscles and/or joints are giving you trouble
- Plan - this involves tailoring a treatment plan to suit your needs
Remedial massage is great for your body! Some of the physical benefits of remedial massage include:
- Improves blood flow and circulation – Massage also flushes lactic acid from the muscles and improves the circulation of the lymph fluid which carries metabolic waste away from muscles and internal organs, resulting in lower blood pressure and improved body function.
- Increases joint mobility and flexibility – By releasing the tension around the muscles and joints, muscle function can return to normal and range of movement will increase
- Improved posture – massage can help with postural problems by lengthening the muscles and balancing out the body for improved postural alignment.
Remedial massage can assist with many physical ailments or injuries. Some conditions that remedial massage therapists may be able to help you with include:
- Back/shoulder pain
- Tennis/Golfer's elbow
- Frozen Shoulder
- Sciatica, to name just a few!
If you would like to start your journey to recovery, please call us at Health Space Burwood on 9745 3700 to book your appointment. We would love to assist you on your journey of recovery and help you to feel - and move - your best!
Remedial Massage Therapist