6 TIPS FOR GETTING BETTER SLEEP
Here are 6 quick tips that have assisted my clients in creating better sleep habits and feeling more relaxed and rested.
- Same Time, Different Night:?Your body (and hormones!) love routine. Routine = safety AND a restful sleep. Get to bed within 30minutes of the night before, and you will be within the 'melatonin window’ from the night before.
- Reduce Device Time: for at least 1-2hours before bed - blue light and backlit devices, especially when held within arms distance, can give your brain the message to stay awake and alert, therefore reducing amount of melatonin and making it more difficult to get some shut eye.
- Have a bath:? emerging yourself in a warm, relaxing bath, will help to calm your whole body. Relieving tension in muscles, soothing your nervous system and giving your brain signals to begin to calm and ready for a good sleep.
- Effective Management of Stress: finding the right fit for you is most important. The main thing you’re looking for is a feeling of slowing down and relaxation. Whether it be meditation, a yoga class, deep breathing exercises, a slow walk after work or journaling your thoughts and lists out on a page so empty your head, whatever works for you.
- Lamp Loving:?2-3hours before bed, turn off all bright overhead lights and switch to soft warm low lighting. This will aid the relaxation process and give your brain the signals that it is getting darker.
- No stimulants after 12pm: Ouch, our beloved coffee! Caffeine can stay in our system from 8 - 12 hours after consuming. This means that having a coffee after 12pm could mean that you are significantly effecting your ability to get a restful night’s sleep.
If you’re thirsty for more information on sleep, check out my article exploring ‘How Does Sleep Affect How We Feel?’.
Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Available for consults at Health Space Potts Point Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays
Call: 02 8354 1534
Follow Prue on Facebook
Follow Prue on Instagram